My girls couldn't be more different. If I listed all the little ways they are opposite it would shock most of you. I won't bother with that list because it's too long and that's not exactly what this post is about. I have been praying very hard lately about my girls and about the way each of them should be raised, considering their differences. I want to keep myself aware at all times of the special, God-given talents and strengths that they each posses so that I can train them in the way they each should go...and that may be in totally different directions.
Mirah is very little, but has a very big personality. She is always laughing, talking, asking, or dancing. She wants to be in the middle of whatever is happening. She is the life of the party. She loves the spotlight and loves attention. We are usually laughing when she is awake. She is stubborn and I know will be a force for the Lord as she grows. The girl is spunky and so very very sweet.
Then there is Lily. She, as I already wrote, is very tender and feeling. She is a typical (almost) 5 year old. She is silly and ridiculously hilarious at times. But Lily is different. Her silly is different. She goes so deep into things. She's shy, but not with those she trusts. She doesn't like to be with large crowds, but enjoys the company of a few close friends. She's very inquisitive, but only to a point. She thinks on things, deeply and for a long time. She figures stuff out by talking about it with me. She processes things. She has a whole spectrum of personality. She's not always "sunny" but that doesn't mean she isn't happy. She is contemplative. She is also stubborn and I know will do many wonderfully stubborn things for God.
All this said, I am trying to be led by our patient Heavenly Father as I figure out what Lily needs for school. She went to preschool last year and did great. That's actually the problem. She knows it all. The next step for her is Pre-K because she doesn't make the cut-off for Kindergarten this year. Her birthday is too late (but only by 22 days). So, I have decided to homeschool her this year. We are going to do some Kindergarten stuff now because she's ready for it. I have gotten some flack from people asking if she will ever be "socialized" or "learn social skills". BAH! Ridiculous! The girl can converse intelligently with most adults! So, we are doing what we feel the Lord is asking us to do. Training her up in the way SHE should go. She is not interested in going to school, but wants to read, do science, and learn learn learn. She is a perfect candidate for this. Mirah on the other hand, well, who knows what she will need. Right now it's looking like she will love being in a classroom with other kids. She seems to flourish in the group setting. But who knows. All I know is that I have an obligation to them and to God to give them what He is asking me to give them. A life that raises them up to be strong, caring, humble, and wise warrior princesses for Him.
both those pictures of your girls are so telling... don't you love how a photo can speak volumes. I am praying God will give you wisdom and discernment. blessings
ReplyDeleteOH MY! I love those girls. I request a side by side photo of Lil at that age & Minnow.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful example of what parenting is all about. Eric and I need those of you with slightly older kids to pave this path for us, and you are doing a wonderful job. I pray the L-rd makes us equally sensitive to what Eliana needs when is Lily's age. And that He makes us brave enough to provide it for her.
ReplyDeleteI just heard a teaching about the Hebrew of that verse and it means "in the way he/she should go"; the path should look the same in that it leads to G-d. Exactly what you are doing. Amen.
ReplyDeleteAmen! may our children always follow Him and His ways.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I can truly express how I feel about what I just read. This is refreshing to say the least. For one to not just recognize the different personalities of your girls but embrace them and understand that a different approach to learning, discipline and life is necessary. In my opinion it will also help them with identity as they grow up. Knowing that not only is it ok they aren't like their sister, but their differences and the unique qualities in each of them are to be celebrated. In other words, whether necessary or not, it is wonderful that they are who they are-their own person not having to look like anyone else.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gift you and Sean(spelling?) are giving to your girls.
p.s. they are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThat was really cool to read and also thanks for your nice comment on my blog! How thoughtful!
ReplyDelete