Thursday, October 21, 2010

Kindergarten

Home-schooling is HARD! I have taught in a regular classroom. I have had gobs of students with disciplinary problems. I have had children with exceptionalities mainstreamed in my class. I have had students that did not speak English. But this, oh boy, this takes the cake. And frankly, I'm not sure why, but teaching to one child - your OWN child - is the biggest teaching challenge I've had. With the other students it was art, so they filed in, did the work and filed back out of the classroom. Phew! It didn't matter if blue paint got everywhere...the class ended at some point. The blue paint would be cleaned and it would be quiet again. With Lily I get to hear some reluctance like, "Can we just swing all day?" I get to hear, "Why? Huh? Who? How?" And there's always the 14th bathroom break. But it's so rewarding too. She truly loves learning at home. She brings me her books each morning so we can do Bible story and verses. She asks me to read another chapter so that she can know what happens to Peg and Maddie in "The Hundred Dresses". She gets the biggest kick out of our science experiments. She really loves the scientific, hands-on approach to life. So, I guess what I am saying is that it's hard and I love it. I know what she is learning is solid, good and challenging for her. I know that she's growing in the Lord each day as we listen (currently) to Moses telling the Israelites how to build the Tabernacle. (With a very confused face yesterday she asked me why Aaron would let the Israelites build a "gold baby cow with earrings?!" Too cute! We had a long discussion after that.) I know that it's all worth it. Even if my house doesn't get cleaned every day and if you came over unannounced you might gasp at the condition of our "home-school" house, where we learn all day, but we might not get to the dust bunnies.

How could you possibly not want to home-school this beauty? Especially when she has drawn such a lovely picture of her Mama!

4 comments:

  1. What a delightful post. What a wonderful opportunity to deepen your relationship with Lily, be there to hear and answer every question and watch her little lights go on day after day and know that you are training her up in the way she should go. You were not home schooled but I remember a load of why, huh?, how, who, etc. As Yoda would say, "Alot like you she it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. is!" (and I write for a living - go figure!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is so cool. I just had a conversation last night with someone from the community about the possibility of homeschooling. If/when I have kids, it's something that really interests me but is also daunting. You should write a book about your experiences with it...it'll probably be ready by the time I need it! :)

    I didn't realize I wasn't following your blog already, but I am now. I almost got to hang out with you with cass this weekend...maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I know! I wish that I could have seen you guys. Maybe another time soon...

    And a book? Whoa. That might be quite an undertaking...but it would be fun too. Well, if I never get it written, feel free to use me as a resource anyway! I'm learning a whole lot and I'd love to encourage another to pursue this option. It's a very personal choice, but one that I wholeheartedly support.

    Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete